Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Math Work

After the students have mastered Math by Myself and Partner Math it's time for Math Work. Math Work is basically in my class review activities. I don't want to call them games because they're not games they are activities that practice a certain skill. For the last four weeks we have done nothing but addition and subtraction. The students have really worked hard and have learned many different ways to add and subtract. Now that we are beginning a new skill (place value) I have moved addition and subtraction to Math Work.


This space on the Daily 5 shelf is for Math Work. I have recently purchased three drawer organizers that I will label each drawer with a different activity so that the students have easy access but right now since I am only doing one activity a day I place the activity in the green tray you see in the picture below. 


 This is a HUGE skill for second grade so we will probably always have at least one activity on addition and subtraction throughout the year. 



Activities that we are using for addition and subtraction math work:
addition flashcards
subtraction flashcards
touch math cards
number line practice addition
number line practice subtraction

So after I am done teaching place value I would add some place value activities to Math Work. Right now I only offer one activity  each day but the goal is to be able to set out three or four and allow the students to choose what they would like to practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment